Artificial Intelligence and Additive Fabrication
Head of Design, Formlabs
Lecturer, MIT Department of Architecture
The convergence of artificial intelligence and 3D printing is poised to revolutionize design and manufacturing. Fueled by new data streams, large scale neural networks, and high-performance materials, a new class of physical things will emerge that are capable of self-generation, automated manufacturing, learning, adaptation, and re-use, while expanding creative and aesthetic possibilities.
This Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence aims to bring together researchers and practitioners from both academia and industry to lay the foundations for this exciting new field. This call for papers is open to unpublished innovative research, completed or partially built projects, and review articles on the application of artificial intelligence in all aspects of additive fabrication. We particularly welcome contributions in the following topics:
- Design: Neural network architectures, data structures, and generative strategies for encoding three-dimensional form, material property, fabrication settings, and post-processing information
- Adaptive fabrication: Machine learning algorithms for control, support generation, geometry and print process optimization
- Material development: AI-based approaches for modeling, simulating, selecting and testing new materials
- User interfaces: New modes of human-tool interaction enabled by artificial intelligence
- Personalization: Mass customization and the integration of user data and feedback during the design and fabrication stages
- Logistics and quality control: AI-driven demand prediction, part inspection, and adaptive manufacturing processes
- Applications: Improvement of existing applications and development of entirely new uses of additive manufacturing enabled by artificial intelligence
- New tools: Novel additive fabrication techniques, driven by artificial intelligent systems and ranging from nano to architectural scales
- Society: Ethical, legal, and environmental implications of AI and 3D printing technologies
Submissions will be peer-reviewed by a panel of experts and published in the 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing: Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence and Additive Fabrication. Submissions will be accepted until October 31, 2023. Please refer to our Instructions for Authors before submitting your manuscript for consideration.
We also encourage submission of papers that have been previously published in conference proceedings, with the requirement that the authors have made significant extensions to the work already published.
Questions or pre-submission queries?
Please contact Guest Editor Marcelo Coelho.