Network and Systems Medicine will be discontinuing publication effective March 30, 2021.
All published content will remain available in perpetuity.
Aims & Scope
Network and Systems Medicine is the premier open access, peer-reviewed journal focused on interdisciplinary approaches to exploiting the power of big data by applying network science and systems thinking to medicine. Network and Systems Medicine yields major breakthroughs towards mechanism-based re-definitions of diseases for high-precision diagnostics and treatments.
Network and Systems Medicine publishes high quality basic science, translational, and clinical research in the form of original research articles, comprehensive review articles, mini-reviews, rapid communications, brief reports, technology reports, hypothesis articles, perspectives, and letters to the editor. The Journal publishes under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 (CC BY) license to ensure broad dissemination and participation. All articles submitted to Systems Medicine are rapidly reviewed and published online within 4-5 weeks after acceptance. Network and Systems Medicine is fully NIH-, HHMI- and Wellcome Trust compliant.
Network and Systems Medicine coverage includes:
- Network science applied to Medicine
- Mechanism-based disease definitions, diagnostics and therapies
- Drug repurposing, proof-of-concept trials, confirmatory trials, pharmacoepidemiology
- Network medicine and network pharmacology
- Multiscale modeling and medical simulation
- Multiscale medical data science and computing
- Virtual patient repositories and data analytics platforms
- Big data analytics in precision medicine
- Clinical validation of systems medicine approaches (including quali-quantitative methods)
- Multiscale approaches, e.g. translational and qualitative research and psycho-sociological variables
- Implementing systemic management in medicine in organizations and integrated healthcare networks
- Educational and training articles in systems medicine and network medicine methodologies for clinicians
Network and Systems Medicine is under the editorial leadership of Co-Editors-in-Chief Harald H.H.W. Schmidt, MD, PhD, PharmD, Professor of Pharmacology, Chairman Department of Pharmacology and Personalised Medicine, Maastricht University, and Jan Baumbach, PhD, Professor and Chairman of Experimental Bioinformatics, Technical University of Munich, Germany; and Senior Associate Editors, Albert-Laszlo Barabasi, PhD, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, and Joseph Loscalzo, MD, PhD, Harvard University, Boston, MA.
Audience: Biomedical researchers and cell biologists; multi-omics biotechnology researchers; network scientists; systems biologists; precision medicine (nutrigenomics, pharmacogenomics) scientists; bioinformaticians and computational biologists; clinicians, medical doctors, nurses, healthcare professionals; industry scientists (pharma, diagnostics); regulatory, government and policymakers; scholars in global health, among others.
Benefits of publishing in the Journal include:
- High visibility, immediate and unrestricted online access to published articles
- Rigorous and rapid peer review
- Easy compliance with open access mandates
- Authors retain copyright
- Citation tracking and inclusion in bibliographic databases
- Targeted email marketing
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ)
European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST), Action CA15120 OpenMultiMed, and Italian Association for Systems Medicine and Healthcare (ASSIMSS)